Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Che to a Tee

Does Che Guevara sell more Tees than David Beckham then?
I have always been fascinated by how much influence Che, who has been better marketed than a Japanese car, has had on pirated Tees in faraway democracies like India. I remember asking a friend in college about his Che Tee. He thought Che was some Latin American Robin Hood. Yeah, the Cubans reckon he was a Commie thug who slaughtered thousands so what. Many years later I find myself sitting next to a teenager in a Che Tee on a London bus. "Why do you like him," I ask. "Just so cool man, i think he was some old Latino singer or sumthin."

5 comments:

Diptakirti Chaudhuri said...

I saw a Gujju spoof of the t-shirt. Under the famous mug shot, it said, "Kem Chhe?"

anil said...

Priceless:)

Anonymous said...

Coming from JNU,a che t shirt and poster were de rigueur.To not wear one was to be 'anti-establishment' within the campus..:-)
The Kem Che one was hilarious.

anil said...

who maketh money from the JNU tees i wonder?

kaalpanique said...

i have thought of it myself.. every second tee sports a che... and i always wondered if the dude inside knew who che was.. reading that.. i know most dont!