Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Every dog has his Globe

Movie Alert: Slumdog Millionaire

Can't make up my mind about this one. Heart-warming and colourful and Golden Globe Awards and everything else but I still can't make up my mind. As a practising Indian, living in India, I have seen too much squalor, too many squatters and Harshawardhan Nawathe winning KBC to be impressed easily. I didn't flinch when I saw Salaam Bombay back in the day, so I didn't expect Boyle's tribute to the reality-television-dream shock me.
Having said all those mean things, I must say Slumdog is an enjoyable movie. It's like watching a Hindi movie with English subtitles. Dev Patel is terrific as the Mumbai slumdog with a slight British accent and Anil Kapoor hams in English. Good fun? sure. Great? don't know.

PS: I don't encourage watching movies on pirated DVDs.

No comments: